I showed my son a picture of these cookies and they looked so good he tried to lick the page. I asked him if he knew what they were and after thinking for a second he replied “Cookie Canes” and the name stuck. Wanna make your own?
Cookie Cane Recipe
from America’s Test Kitchen
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 16 Tbsp butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup for rolling
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 drops red food coloring
- Whisk flour and salt in bowl.
- In a mixer with a paddle beat butter, 3/4 cup sugar and powdered sugar on medium high until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, peppermint and vanilla and beat until well incorporated. Add flour and slowly mix until combined.
- Set aside half the dough and add food coloring to the remaining half.
- Shape each half into a 5 inch square, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours until firm.
- Roll each square into 9 inch square. Flip 1 dough square onto the other and lightly roll to combine. Cut square in half and refrigerate until firm about 15 minutes.
- Place 1/4 cup sugar in shallow dish.
- Cut 1 half into 4 1/2 by 1/4 inch strips. Twist each strip into a spiral and roll until smooth. Roll in sugar. Shape into cane and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 325 for 13-15 minutes until edges are light brown.